It’s a known fact that I’m a sucker for a sweetie. I could easily eat cake for breakfast (and do) and I hate denying myself of sweets. Unfortunately for me, I’m intolerant to gluten, dairy AND eggs so I really need to avoid them most of the time. A lot of desserts made with those ingredients wreak havoc on your digest system so it’s a good one to avoid. So fortunately for me, I’m allowed to indulge in raw delights like this raw chocolate and passionfruit tart… even for breakfast!
I will sometimes make this in a circular spring form tin and serve as a dessert. Other times, I like to have it in a square tin and serve it in slices, making it the perfect morning and afternoon tea delight. Goes perfectly with a scoop of coconut ice cream and a spoonful of fresh passionfruit pulp.
With all ingredients I try to make them organic to really boost the health properties of this dessert. Remember, the healthier it is the more you can have 😉
I took a batch to my Pilates class too and they gave them the thumbs up! I didn’t even tell anyone that it was raw, vegan or healthy! Sneaky 😉
Raw chocolate and passionfruit tart
Vegan + gluten free. Serves 16
(adapted from the amazing base in the peppermint slice from ascension kitchen. I absolutely love the added buckwheat in the base as it gives an amazing crunch. Lauren’s a total hottie too, check out her website)
1/2 cup loving earth buckinis
1 cup pecans
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/4 cup rice malt syrup or other liquid sweetener
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1. In a high speed blender or processor, blitz the buckinis to a fine consistency.
2. Add the pecans and raw cacao and blitz to a grainy texture.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse a few times to give a cohesive consistency. Be careful not to over process.
4. Press into square 9-inch baking tin that has been lined with baking parchment and place in the freezer whilst you prepare the topping.
2 cups of soaked cashews (soak for 6 hours then rinsed)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup rice malt syrup or other liquid sweetener
1/2 cup raw cacao
1/4 cup water
1/2 tspn vanilla bean powder
4 fresh passionfruit
1. Using a high speed blender or processor add all of the above ingredients except the passionfruit and whiz until a very smooth consistency. Using my vitamix and tamper it took approximately 5 minutes.
2. Pour into a bowl and add the passionfruit and mix until thoroughly combined.
3. Pour on top of base and set in the fridge for at least 5 hours until set.