I was inspired by a recipe in the latest taste magazine and recreated my own version straight away. This is a great variation of your average green salad. It’s crunchy, a little creamy, a little salty and has a summery freshness with the added herbs. It’s also serious beauty food thanks to the variety of greens and good fats.
Keep it simple by having it as is or dress it up with your protein of choice. To get my protein up, I’m back on the fish. I’m still not sure how I feel about this, but for the sake of my health, a piece of salmon isn’t all that bad. And actually, it goes really well with this salad. Team with poached chicken for another delicious option.
This makes the perfect lunch time salad to fill you up and stop the 3pm slump each day.
Salmon and Avocado Summer Salad
Prep time – 10 minutes
1/4 cup frozen baby peas
A good handful of green beans
1 spring onion, finely chopped
1 heaped tablespoon chopped mint
1 heaped tablespoon chopped dill
1 heaped tablespoon chopped pistachios
1 tablespoon of capers, rinsed
30grams of greek feta, crumbled
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 – 1 whole avocado (depends how much you like really)
100grams smoked salmon
1. Cover the frozen peas in hot water and leave for 3 minutes until tender. Drain and run under cold water. Place in bowl.
2. Top and tail the green beans. Chop diagonally and place with peas.
3. Finely slice the spring onion and place with peas and beans.
4. Add mint, dill, pistachios and capers to the green vegetable mix.
5. Add olive oil and crumbled feta and mix to combine.
6. Test for seasoning – add salt and pepper if you like.
7. Serve into bowls and top with salmon and avocado.